Hello SPARK Libraries,
I’m glad you are participating in the open source Evergreen software shared platform with many of your PA neighbors. It’s better because we’re in it together.
If you have questions about your library settings in the software, reach out. There are adjustments right now so items aren’t due, fines don’t accrue, and holds lists don’t populate.
The regular online meeting room I sent links to last week via the listservs will be open as much as possible this week for virtual gatherings and software support questions or group cleanup projects when you need it. Jump in to say hello or ask questions.
Continue to use the Submit a Request link to submit your support needs during this time.
Some practical ideas for today:
- Make a carousel of digital items in your collections. The way to do this: Make a Record Bucket of the digital items in your collection that you want to feature. Create Carousel from bucket.
- Make a video or instructions for patrons that help them understand the baskets and lists features of the catalog.
- Experience library service like a patron and try to update your account username and PIN and email. Write instructions.
- Email the teachers in your network and remind them of the online resources available.
- Pick a few popular resources that are in POWERLibrary and consider creating/finding MARC records for them.
- Promote your neighboring libraries online programs–people can choose to login to ALL the virtual story hours.
- Run reports to analyze your collections, your records, your items, your users.
- Make sure you heeded advice from others about how to suspend packages/deliveries and incoming ILL requests.
- Write up a procedure or workflow from memory–document each step and how it is done at your location to make sure staff have consistent practices.
- Plan big for a new future. Maybe you can make time to review and revise policies/procedures in use at your location. If you are thinking about Fine Free or Auto-renewal or a new policy for issuing online cards, start drafting new ideas so you can get your board’s approval on the changes.
Take care of yourself and your co-workers.
Reach out if you need any assistance during this strange time. PaILS / SPARK Support and your vendor are used to working remotely to help with your ILS needs.